Thursday, April 11, 2013

Fitting it All In. Getting it All Out

Hurricane Butters just wrecked his room


I'm really not sure what direction this post is headed.   I'm just forewarning you right now.  I can tell  you that I've been thinking a lot lately about how moms handle everything that's on their plate. How do they handle two or three kids all at the same time when I can barely run after one?  And how do they look so calm and organized doing it? 

It's been almost fourteen months and I'm still fighting with the stroller.  It doesn't help that the damn thing comes up to my neck and has more locks than a maximum security prison.  I drop everything I pick upI almost filled Butters' juice bottle with coffee the other morningThat would have been a disaster.  And then I went to the store with half of a cheese puff stuck in my hair Nobody said anything.  My hair's the same color anyway.  

I'm focused on cramming in as much language as I can for Butters.  I even got a little magnetic board and set it up to jot down the key words and phrases we want to practice every day, along with posting the pictures that go along with the "Learning to Listen" sounds.  It all looks and sounds great, but in reality, I just don't know if I'm doing enough. There are some days where hardly anything gets done. Butters is making lots of progress, even imitating some sounds now, but deep down, I know that so much more needs to be done and I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish it all.

And did I mention how difficult it is to cram language skills in when you are dealing with an extremely active, almost 14 month old who does not like to sit still?   The goal is to work with him one on one for at least an hour.  It ain't easy.  That's all I will say.  Most of the time I am chasing him around the house from the start of the morning until his afternoon nap time, usually pulling him away from something he is not supposed to be getting into.  

My brain has also been occupied with my father dying.  This has been going on for three years now and it's been very difficult for my mom.  I hate that they are going through this and I have no idea what to do.

I am so very tired.  With lots still left to do.  How to do it all?

Been trying to fit it all in, now I've got to get it all out.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. And you are doing a great job. Just remember to breathe ;) the fact that you are worried about not doing enough means you probably ARE! A loving,involved family - hurricane Butters is a lucky boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellen! It's not easy being a mom but when you throw in hearing loss into the mix, it can get a whole lot more difficult! I know you are getting excited about Peter's upcoming surgery!

    ReplyDelete