I am feeling the biggest idiot on Planet Earth. I was trying to clean up Butters a little before lunch (which that is pretty stupid in and of itself since this was "Carrot Day" and he ends up getting carrots plastered all over his face), and one of his hearing aids "ears" apparently was not in securely. Next thing I notice was some movement in the sink next to the drain. There was Butters' ear. I snatched it up as quickly as possible, set Butters down, took out the battery, and placed it in the dry aid kit. His camo ear gear was on it so hopefully that will help. I did check it soon afterwards to see if the blasted thing would even turn on - it did, but the signal/tune that plays when you turn it on was very weak. Soooooo, after leaving it in the container for about 30-40 minutes I checked it again and it sounded fine. We'll see. For now, it's back in the dry aid container to be on the safe side. We only have the container with the orange silica beads that I zap in the microwave every now and then to dry out any moisture that builds up. It's been working fabulously, but I 'm not sure how we this ear got in the sink. I think I stopped breathing for about two full minutes when this happened. And I don't know if I'm going to escape an insane asylum before Butters turns 18 and deals with his own hearing aids and all the crap that comes with them.
If anyone out there has gone through this, please comment or email and tell me how you handled this and what the outcome was.
Hi Eleanor, I'm Ellen! I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Peter was born 4/20 with severe-profound hearing loss in both ears. We are in CA, but have family in NC I am glad to "meet" someone who is just ahead of me on the journey, it's like a preview of next month! We haven't started AV yet, but will in Sept :) I just started a blog about this adventure, too, but I am also a bit behind the blogging times- I never even read one until three months ago. (giving Peter a world of words is my title- peterstale.blogspot.com if you want to take a look)
ReplyDeleteHi Ellen! Yes, it really helps to have someone else starting out with you at the beginning of the road on this long journey. You have someone out there who is going through the very same stages that you are, and has the same interventions, screenings, and emotions that you're going through. I think you and Peter will enjoy AV. We're still finding out what other services we will be needing in the near future - there is so much to learn and to figure out but I am here to offer you any helpful hints and tips that I discover along with being available when you need to vent! I will definitely stop by your blog and if you ever make it out soon to NC let me know, maybe we can meet - I'm sure Peter and "Butters" would have a blast!
ReplyDeleteMy family -in-law is in Charlotte, and we might be out next in Feb or next summer, depending on Peter's scheduled stuff, and if my brother-in-law gets sicker(stage 4 colon cancer, but responding to chemo). If you are ever in the bay area of ca, let me know!
Delete