Trying to focus on the positives instead of the negatives. You know, the little things - like.... nap time (Butters' nap time - I can't remember the last time I had one), chocolate, wine, de-frizz gel. And the big things - Butters trying to crawl, his giggling, AND Butters DOES STARTLE to some sounds. Of course, there's really no rhyme or reason to which sounds he startles to, and some are quick to say that the startling could be due to other external sources. But I KNOW that he hears some sounds. My husband and I have witnessed too many instances to write them off as coincidences.
As we've been preparing for the upcoming, extremely busy month of August filled with appointments including Butters' eye exam and the much dreaded MRI at the end of the month, I had to laugh when I got this (pictured above) from one of the fortune cookies they put in our Chinese take-out bag the other night.
"Your faith carries you through difficult times."
That's what has been getting us through this. That along with hope. And a little bit of a warped sense of humor.
It was a sign, it was perfect timing, it was prophetic. But I refuse to believe that it was a coincidence.
I'm holding on to miracles because they do happen.
Here's a few pics of the POSITIVES lately:
Butters is trying so hard to crawl. He has pretty good upper body strength despite those chubby little arms! It's just a problem of getting those knees to bend. He ends up looking like a beached whale when he kicks his legs out frantically while balancing on his tummy.
Butters has been extremely curious lately - more than usual. He is fascinated with the bookshelf and loves to turn pages in books. He also loves to try and eat the pages in books. He did finally end up getting this particular book off the shelf, but he ended up kicking it off with his foot instead.
Now a couple of NEGATIVES (that are driving me absolutely nuts):
Finger sucking - it is nearly impossible to get him to stop. He actually began this habit while he was in the NICU. I walked in one afternoon and noticed that he had his hand in his mouth despite there being a little washcloth over it to keep him from pulling at his iv. I'll never forget it because he looked at me as if to say, "I know I'm probably not supposed to have this in my mouth but I'm doing it anyway!"
Butters loves to play under the bed in the guest room/playroom. Every time I pull him out he manages to scoot backwards towards the dust ruffle. I swear he only likes it because he knows he's not supposed to be under there.
Can't imagine what he's going to be like when he hits two years old!

No comments:
Post a Comment