I am never going to set up two Butters' appointments at two different places ever again. Holy Beejeezus it was an exhausting day. Left the house at 9 a.m. and arrived home around 5:30 p.m. and listened to ear splitting shrieks and screams the whole time while in the car. Butters hates car rides. He loves the women though, and as soon as he gets out of the car and into a room full of women, his little face lights up and he begins to smile. And spit. I will be so glad when he gets out of that phase.
We met with a speech path and a new audi mainly so that they could get an evaluation of Butters. We meet with them again in a few weeks to discuss implant options. Wow! This is seriously happening?
Next, we traveled a half hour to go to Chapel Hill for Butters' third booth test. Despite his exhaustion, having only taken a twenty minute nap the entire trip (he screamed again for most of the car ride there and back), he performed well, but is still holding at that severe to profound level even with his hearing aids turned up a bit. Our audi was positive though informing us that he is getting auditory stimulation and his testing levels aided are around 70-90.
The news is neither good or bad, really. You don't know whether to be upset over hearing levels such as that because you want your child to be able to fully benefit from hearing aids. But, you also don't feel too sad because you realize that your child is on track for implants and that is truly the best option for him. I can tell you the main feeling that I had yesterday was having the sensation of being driven over by an eighteen wheeler, picked up and then rolled over again.
And then we get home and Butters is ready to roll. Literally. All over the house, knocking over plants, getting stuck under the couch, pulling up the bathroom mats. Why am I not as skinny as one of those twenty year old fashion models? Oh wait, it's because I've got a good, near twenty years on em' even though I feel more like eighty.
Sometimes I feel like you're reliving my days with Aiden! lol My daughter was not a good car rider and most of the time, neither was Aiden (until about 8 months). I read that it may because of an underdeveloped/weak vestibular system (hello EVA)and it makes them feel like they don't feel "grounded" or feel dizzy. It made so much sense with Aiden and his eva, and after everything I've been through with Aiden, looking back, his sister had some major sensory issues (which noone seemed too concerned back then). Anyway, I hear ya too about the "should I feel good or bad" with these results?! I took them and ran towards CIs because I knew that was going to be Aiden's only hope in hearing ALL speech sounds. I've known so many others who have EVA kiddos and it's so up and down. I feel blessed I haven't had to ride that roller coaster and Aiden's case was pretty much straight forward. It never takes away that bit of pain though. Hugs to you girl! Counting the days with you!
ReplyDeleteTammy, I was thinking that the EVA quite possibly was a contributor to the "car crankies." He also spits up a lot and suddenly. Not planning on getting one of those nice glittery sweaters I have been seeing lately. I am also wondering if his volcanic eruptions might also be another lovely gift courtesy of the EVA. I am hoping that this Mondini thing is the last big surprise. You never know. But we are on track with the implants. Hugs also to you, Tammy! It helps so much to have your support!
ReplyDelete