Sharing my trials and tribulations of helping our infant son to hear and navigating our way through EVA/LVAS and Mondini's Syndrome.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Success!
First Hearing Aid Fitting Day seemed to be a success!!!! We were at the audiologist's office for three hours (yes, you read that correctly - 3 hours). Fortunately, he was in an entertaining mood since he had a new audience. Mom and dad get pretty boring on a daily basis.
I will admit that I was a bit concerned when the hearing aids were pushed into his ears and they were turned on. He had this look of absolute terror in his eyes as he frantically looked all around the room. This lasted for only a minute until his dad began to talk to him. Suddenly, as if someone had flipped a light switch, he started laughing. Yes, laughing - continuously. We were not expecting that reaction, probably because we were steeling ourselves to expect no reaction at all.
We left the audiologist's office and took his aids off to give him a break. We also didn't want to subject him to the rough road noise during the hour and a half drive on the way back. And did I mention that he was also growing more tired and fussy by the minute? We had planned to put them back in when we got home but he was already fast asleep.
So, early this morning, we put them in his ears and he laughed again. He laughed at us as we talked to him, he laughed at his animal mobile because now he heard it play music. He even laughed as I hacked and coughed from my sinus infection. It was absolutely wonderful. It was wonderful for us because it was almost as if he was being born all over again.
We're slowly transitioning him into the world of hearing. This morning he did very well for an hour with them on. I've read articles discussing how it may be beneficial to start them off slowly - fifteen minutes to a half hour the first day and then slowly increase the time each day for the rest of the first week. Personally, I think it just depends on the baby. When they're infants, it's extremely hard to gauge how long you'll be able to keep the aids in due to the fact that they still need so much sleep. Even though Butters typically stays up more during the day compared to other babies, he will still drop off to sleep for a quick cat nap. in the middle of playing
Still, I'm excited and hopeful about his future. I know this isn't a cure. I know that there's also a chance that his hearing aids might not completely help him and that cochlear implants may be in order. I also know that he won't be able to hear as clearly and plainly as we or his peers do. What I do know is that right now he's a happy boy, and that we're doing everything we can to ensure that he'll be okay. After all, it's what I would do even if he didn't have hearing loss.
Butters on his way to the audiologist's for First Hearing Aid Fitting Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment