Sharing my trials and tribulations of helping our infant son to hear and navigating our way through EVA/LVAS and Mondini's Syndrome.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
First Day of Auditory/Verbal Therapy!
Yesterday was Butters' first day of A/V. Of course, it was mostly observation and background info while he rolled around on the floor knocking out his hearing aids.
Our AV therapist is awesome! It feels like I've known her for years, and she's great with Butters.
So, we're starting with Butters wearing his hearing aids more and more - gradually building up to having them in throughout the majority of the day. I have a feeling that through the next several months, I'm going to end up going through lots of toupee tape to keep the blasted processors on his ears, Oto Ferm to hopefully cut down on the feedback ... and lots of bottles of wine!
The main task currently, is to keep a running tab of all his babbling - specifically, his consonant sounds. Our AV therapist was amazed at all of his babbling and consonants he was making without his hearing aids.
At 15 weeks, this is a listing of his current babbling (phonetic spelling):
ah la
ah goo
egoo
ba ba
ma ma
uh uh
gu gu
And now that he's in the early teething stages, he loves using his drool to make all kinds of gurgling sounds.
I'm excited - and for the first time, really motivated and encouraged. I know this isn't the end of the road for this journey, but at least I feel like we're finally on track.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment