Saturday, September 1, 2012

Back Home After the MRI

The nurses and the Discharge Instructions said to expect Butters to be groggy from the effects of the sedation.  Yeah, whatever.

This kid was almost supercharged when we got home.  I seriously need to find out if I can somehow get a hold of this stuff just to keep up with him.

The nurses told us that he woke up once during the procedure with a look that said, "What the???"  then instantly fell asleep again.

He flirted with all of the nurses giving them huge grins, babbles, and that blasted "spitting" noise that he thinks is so cool.  This helped me to relax a little, but I do admit that I lost a little control over my emotions after they sedated him and the nurses told me that I could kiss him before they took him off for the procedure.  

It seemed to take forever in the waiting room and I know I asked my husband probably every other minute how long had it been since they took him into x-ray.  But when they brought him out he was wide awake and hungry!  This little guy plowed through four ounces of Pedialyte, followed by ten and a half ounces of solids.  We brought those squeeze pouches of Gerber's fruit combos for convenience, and his dad basically held the nozzle of the pouch into Butters' mouth and squeezed a continuous glob of apple kiwi into his mouth - he was that ravenously hungry.

He slept for half of the car ride home until we got lost.  My husband said we took a little "detour."

We finally got home, and Butters was ready to make up for lost time by getting a little practice crawling, and kicking time in while on his mat (this foam mat is awesome, btw, you can see it in the above pic - it helps tremendously since we have hardwood floors and I don't have to worry as much about him bonking his head on the floor when he falls over).

Overall, he had an okay day, took a little late afternoon nap, and even slept fantastically later that night.

I am just glad it's over.  One more huge hurdle behind us.  Now for the waiting of the results which I may be able to get in a couple of days, along with the round of booth testings slated for the next three months. 

I'd like to be able to say, "Bring It!"  like all the tough girls do. But instead, at this point in the game, I am only able to muster a wimpy, "Please bring it in a gift-wrapped box, with fuzzy kitten stickers, and a big purple, polka-dot ribbon on the top."

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog. I am a parent to a 9 year old deaf daughter.

    Are you guys pursuing a cochlear implant? My daughter "only" had a severe loss, and the difference between her performance with hearing aids and a CI was night and day. I would really push for it, it will be a huge benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Kat's Parents! We are seriously thinking about CI's - currently, we are about to start the hearing booth tests this month. Our audiologists first want to see how the hearing aids are working out. However, since Butters was born with a bilateral severe to profound loss, I really do believe that we will need to move ahead with CI's. If I am remembering correctly, I think I've seen your name pop up on the "Listen-Up" group. After reading so many moms' stories through that group and on their blogs, I truly believe that the implants are the best method for achieving the best access to sound and language. I am waiting for the three rounds of booth testing which should conclude by the end of the year which will be our best indicator whether to proceed with CI's. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I think I have seen a link to your blog on the "Listen Up" group. If so, I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  2. I am glad all went well! I know I will feel the same way in 4-5 months when they expect to do Peter's CT scan (and possibly MRI) in preparation for CI, which hopefully happens early April of next year....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, the MRI apparently is a much more difficult process for the mom than for the child! He did very well mostly because they administered sedation that was in nasal spray form and it simulated the natural sleep state. I think this also helped him to not be so groggy afterwards as well. Hope everything's going well with the hearing aids and everything that comes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it went well. One step closer. What a trooper you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tammy! One step closer indeed. I am hoping that things will keep getting a little easier and I can only hope that Butters will end up doing as fantastically as Aiden has.

    ReplyDelete