Some of John Lennon's lyrics in his Christmas song have been sticking to my brain since the season began - way back before Halloween actually.
Considering the events our world experienced this year, and in particular, the recent Newtown tragedy, I am not too sorry to see 2012 go away.
Lennon's song made me think about the world back in the 70's. I was a toddler back then, but I when I was a little older I vaguely remember my parents talking about how they hoped things would get better and the world would become more stable once the brand new decade of the 80's arrived. Talking with my mom on the phone recently, we realized that the world has become much more frightening than anyone could have ever imagined.
Even on a smaller level, 2012 was bittersweet. We were anticipating the birth of our first child. We had not anticipated that he would have a rough journey and be admitted to the NICU for over a week. We were also clueless as to how to raise a child who was born with severe to profound hearing loss. Then as the year rolled on, we added EVA, Mondini's, and the need for cochlear implant surgery to the list. I never knew any of this stuff existed.
2012 was not an easy year, in fact, I think it was one of the hardest years I have ever experienced. But it has shown me how to appreciate the little things.
So I am tentatively hoping for a wonderful, and more peaceful 2013 on a global level. And now on a smaller, more cozy level, I am wishing a happy new year to all of my blogger friends out there and to all of my "virtual friends" too who I have been lucky to meet through this blog and in the Deaf/HOH groups. 2012 was made much better in meeting new friends out there who have been where we are and offered advice, and shared their stories, and friends who are currently going through the same "adventure." I honestly do not know how we would have gotten through our son's diagnosis without all of you. So thank you, friends, and here's hoping to a fantastic 2013 to you and yours!
No comments:
Post a Comment