![]() |
| Butters in Chapel Hill, NC |
We are really going to miss our audiologist who has been there with us through this journey from the very beginning - back in May 2012. I cannot believe how fast the time has gone and how the surgery date is just over the horizon. Holy Beejeezus.
Butters will have one ear done this go around and we are not sure which one it will be. Hopefully, if insurance is obliging, we can go ahead and get the other ear done by the end of the year. Our insurance likes to see how they do with one ear first before going bilateral. Understood. Get the point. I am picking my battles carefully at this point since there are so many irons in the fire and honestly, I am exhausted. My fighting Irish heritage spirit has been put through the wringer lately.
Have the hearing aids been worth it? Certainly. I realize that with his severe to profound level, it's likely that he probably couldn't hear much of our speech sounds, but he was hearing many environmental and loud speech sounds and that's what counts. Those hearing booth tests demonstrated that - every single one of them - 5 in all.
He will go bimodal until he goes bilateral, so we won't be rid of the "ears" just yet. But it has been a good run with them despite all of that space alien-sounding feedback, dropping one in the sink, and then the latest trip through the rinse cycle of the washing machine - and yet they keep on going. Yes, those hearing aids keep coming back for more, no matter what those things go through. Kind of like a bad horror movie, actually.

Hi! Were the booth tests with or without aids? We have only done with...you are both in my thoughts in this run up to surgery day! Next Wednesday are Peter's scans...nail bite...but I am sure it will be fine...nail bite...
ReplyDeleteEllen, Good luck Wednesday. I sent you an email about a week ago talking about Butters' scans, wasn't sure if you received it. I will also tell you that I cried when they took Butters for his MRI back in August. I was trying to tell myself that it was only a simple test, but when I watched them give the nasal sedation spray, and he began to fall asleep, I just could not hold the tears back anymore. It turned out okay, and the nurses were really helpful. So it's okay to be nervous, as a matter of fact, it is to be expected. You never want your child to have to go through this, but everything will be okay. I am thinking about you and will have to call you soon!
ReplyDelete